Sunday 14 January 2018

Review of 'The Twelve Days of Dash and Lily' by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Review of 'The Twelve Days of Dash and Lily' by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

I'm finally (sorta) catching up on my backlog of book reviews now, and this is the very last thing that I finished in 2017. I feel like everyone needs a feel good book at Christmas-time, and this was perfect. I was a little apprehensive at first because of how short it was (just over 200 pages), but the authors managed to cram so much depth into the characters; I was impressed. 

Lily resonated with me on a profound level. This was the first year that I didn't get totally overwhelmed by my excitement for Christmas, and I still haven't quite put my finger on why yet. It was the first year that Lily hadn't either. Usually she kicks off the twelve days of Christmas with a tree-putting-up ceremony, and from then on launches into full on Christmas mode.

This year, everything was changing for Lily. Her granddad, who she had been caring for after he got ill, decided to move away to her aunt's and receive more around the clock care. Lily was gutted, and Christmas didn't feel worth celebrating anymore. 


Dash loved Lily, and though he hadn't said those three little words out loud yet, he was keen to make his girlfriend enjoy her favourite time of year. So, he decided to create 12 days of activities to make Lily happy again. Although things went wrong more than once, Dash wouldn't give up. But could Lily overcome her sadness in time for Christmas?

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment