Sunday 3 April 2016

Review of 'Lucky Jim' by Kingsley Amis



This has been on my TBR pile for YEARS. It was recommended to be by a teacher when I was still back in school! I'm selling a load of my books at the moment, and don't want to sell any that I haven't read, so I finally picked this up a couple of weeks ago. 

I'm not going to lie, despite it being a so-called 'classic' I really wasn't all that sold. I felt a similar kind of disappointment in this as I did to The Catcher in the Rye. Nothing really happened in either novel, and I know that sometimes that is the point of the book, but I really don't think this was done very well. It was simply a slow-paced standard boy-meets-girl text with elements of humour that I didn't find especially funny.

SYNOPSIS

Jim hates his job. He wanted to teach history, but here he is stuck as a Medievalist professor, ugh, To add pain onto punishment, Jim's boss is a total pain in the arse and the only student that actually has an interest is neither female, nor hot. 

The story follows Jim's various attempts to get some pretty young ladies to join his course and to seduce a lady for himself. However, the Welches (his boss, his boss' wife and son) seem determined to ruin this for him.

Have you read it? What did you think?

Steph 


No comments:

Post a Comment